Saturday, May 4, 2013

My "Little Girl"




One would think that having a baby would seriously cramp my ability to work livestock, but that is not so. Ok, well, I take that back. While pregnant, my husband and a few other people did comment on my waddling technique. Now, I am indeed slower and more clumsy with my little eight month old hijo riding my back. However, even though my ability to work livestock personally has been cramped, my first “child” makes it look like I am a first class stock-woman.  She is my true, skilled partner in all things related to moving around four legged beasts. In fact, we probably look like we know more now that I do less. Soak-n-wet, she weighs nothing more than 30 pounds at best. This small size is due to her massive amount of energy and incapability to remain still for any length of time. Dally is a furry, black and white border collie. And yes, she is still my “little girl” even with a human baby in my arms.






I have determined that any ranching or farming woman who works with livestock should obtain a good stock dog prior to having a baby. Dally is a working border collie whose mind revolves around livestock, livestock, and did I say livestock?  She was a wildly energetic tiny thing when I got her. She still is wild and energetic but its wild energy directed towards helpful places(most of the time).

Dally has always been sheep crazed. She is crazy about anything on four legs that will move when she wants it to. It took me about two years to learn to put all that energy into my use,  but finally this winter after we went to a dog clinic it all came together.  

Finally, I have a genuine working dog I can depend on. With my little man riding along, I no longer run back and forth and jump fences herding sheep myself. For the most part, I stand in one place as much as possible and shout commands like “come by”, “away”, “down”, “stand”, “move up” and all other sorts of dog lingo Dally has come to understand.  The black and white streak runs to and fro determined to gather, separate, or do whatever is needed for her master. We may not yet be good enough to compete in a dog herding trial, but Dally and I can gather, move, load, and hold a thousand head of stock for you any day.  

The little man think she is delightful to watch and play with. Though her energy is crazy with other animals, she is as gentle as a mother with my baby. She tries to get him to play with her and chase her. He simply watches amused right now. In the not-so-far future, I expect to watch my furry “little girl” and my little man running around playing together. For now, I am simply grateful to be working livestock with a baby on my back and it is all possible because of Dally, my dog.

Moving Sheep to the High Country





No comments:

Post a Comment